Heritage House Museum
In later years, the house served as a stage coach stop. One traveler posted a sign outside the house. The sign pointed west and said, “Oregon — 1000 miles.” So, that intersection was dubbed “Oregon Corners.”
The house was moved to its current location in 1972. Through the efforts of the Stow Historical Society, the Heritage House has been restored and filled with tools, clothing, and furniture to give visitors a perspective on the life of Stow’s early settlers.
Minnie Darrow House
Lyman Darrow built the Darrow House in 1847. Lyman’s father was Joseph Darrow, who came to the Western Reserve in 1779 as a surveyor hired by Joshua Stow. Lyman was one of thirteen children born to Joseph Darrow and Sally Prior Darrow.
The house was owned by members of the Darrow and Walker families until the 1980s, when it was moved to its present location in the Heritage Reserve Park. The contents of the house were donated by a former owner, Floyd Darrow, once known as the Popcorn King of Darrow Road.
Mary Starr House
Mary Cannon came to Darrowville in 1807 to teach school. In 1808 she married Josiah Starr and moved to his farm.
In 1848, Mary Starr paid $75 for a half acre lot at 5040 Darrow Road, and commissioned Lyman Darrow to build this house on the property. He finished it in 1849. Mary Starr never lived in the house herself, but it was home to members of her family.
The house was moved in 1991, and subsequently restored to its original design by the Stow Historical Society.
Previously located at 5090 Young Road, the Stewart’s Corners schoolhouse is one of Stow’s original one room schoolhouses, built approximately 1800-1885. One of the eight one-room
schoolhouses in Stow Township at the end of the nineteenth century, this frame building replaced an earlier brick schoolhouse on its original site on the southwest corner of the Call and Young Road intersection. Last names of pupils who attended the school in the early 1900’s include Hanson, Stewart, Smith, Fleshman, Naftzger, Moser, Judson, and Moon. The Stewart School was in use through 1906. In 1907 the Stow Township Centralized School was opened, allowing all Stow students to attend the same building, and the Stewart School closed.
Stewart School was moved to Heritage Reserve Park in October 2013 and dedicated in July 2017.